At Saucony, we exist for runners and taste-makers alike. We have a 120-year history of building performance running shoes and are equally passionate about those that wear our performance shoes to run in and those that wear our past heritage styles to hang out in. Runners inspire us, bring us new ideas, and force us to be better. They drive our design and engineering. They keep us competitive. They keep us honest. Taste-makers inspire our creative side and demand our lifestyle product be as beautiful as our performance product is innovative.
We're a challenger brand with an intimate knowledge of our consumer and a desire to disrupt the market and stand out in an ownable, distinctly Saucony way. This focus and passion fuels us as we strive to create the best running shoes and apparel on the planet, as well as build love and loyalty with our customers.
Saucony's chief marketing officer will lead global marketing efforts, with responsibility for demand creation, consumer communication, and go-to-market strategies for both wholesale and direct-to-consumer businesses. This position is a critical member of the leadership team and works closely with product, sales and finance leadership to drive overall brand success. The CMO will establish and ensure a consistent global marketing strategy, and direct the development and implementation of the brand’s global marketing process. This key leadership role should have overall business acumen and be a thought partner for the president of the Saucony brand.
- Develop brand-strategic marketing direction and provide input into the global portfolio strategy.
- Oversee the execution of marketing strategy to optimize share of market and profitability of brand.
- Create and manage the company’s product messaging and positioning globally.
- Develop a competitive digital direct offense to clearly differentiate our offering across all digital media outlets and support both .com and brick-and-mortar businesses.
- Lead the development and execution of global strategic marketing plans and ensure consistent implementation at a regional level, including media mix, content platform development, visual identity and retail display.
- Capture and synthesize competitor, consumer, industry and business insights to identify major opportunities and threats.
- Communicate with regions to ensure that global product positioning and objectives are well defined, and manage regional consistency of product message.
- Ensure that products/programs are created, manufactured, developed, marketed and sold in accordance with budgeted objectives to obtain maximum profitability globally.
- Oversee brand storytelling and content creation that supports 52 weeks of differentiated storytelling.
- Create effective go-to-market plans for seasonal product offering for wholesale marketing and Saucony direct-to-consumer, including Saucony.com and Saucony stores.
- Lead initiatives to promote and maximize exposure of the brand, including communicating global branding strategies/vision and facilitating relationship building with management, licensees and distributors.
- Oversee new product launches at the global level (e.g., positioning, pricing, rollout staging, distribution of communication plan).
- Work closely with product management to manage product positioning and promotional strategies, as well as analyze effectiveness of launches and promotions.
- Manage external marketing agencies to develop strong partnerships while maximizing the efficient use of resources.
- Determine overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the marketing unit and implement organizational changes to align staff with shifting marketing focus.
- Analyze sales, market share, brand health and profits to determine return on marketing investment.
- Coordinate with other functions to identify new opportunities in existing business lines, such as product extension opportunities (business development).
- Manage efforts to best align brand’s global efforts to grow and expand (business development).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications or equivalent work experience.
- Twelve-plus years experience in marketing and management, including seven-plus years experience leading people.
- Major national brand experience required and global brand marketing experience preferred.
- Strong sense of style; ability to influence the product effort.
- Exceptional influential oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, ability to tell great stories and bring people on the journey.
- Proven success in traditional and innovative campaigns across the broad spectrum of today’s marketing channels.
- Ground-breaking leader with strategic, creative and financial acumen as well as a strong business intellect to take our organization to the next level.
- Results and deadline oriented; strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization and to effectively manage processes.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating business alliances.
- Effectively uses and learns new technology.
- Travel up to 25 percent.