We are looking for a Creative Director of Copy and Content to help us define our brand voice for the entire company. From how we write a tweet and product detail page to our editorial and brand voice, your strategy will help guide and shape it all. This is a big, complex role that will impact every department at the company. Along the way, your team will be writing for many audiences (like users, creators, advertisers, and press) and across many channels (retail, social, display, email, etc.). We are looking for someone who is not just a strong copywriter, but a world-class creative leader to help guide a large copy team. You won’t just help make our stories sound better, you’ll help define which stories are worth telling our customers. The ideal candidate will set the bar for innovative, stunning, effective copy – combining inspiration with leadership to raise the Zulily brand to the next level.
What you'll do:
- Work with UX, Merchandising, Marketing, and Design teams to conceptualize and execute seasonal editorial email and promotional campaigns that drive business goals while articulating Zulily’s brand values.
- Develop social media strategies with brand marketing to leverage and exponentially increase growth on Zulily social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to understand objectives and deliver results from concept to execution for email and social campaigns with support from the greater internal agency, including marketing, creative, photography, and content strategy.
- Master the overall Zulily brand voice, and the subtle differences in tone across all channels and shopping verticals.
- Consistently provide solutions based on client briefs and deadlines; anticipate and proactively respond to future needs.
- Contribute to various other initiatives, including new product launches, PR initiatives, blog magazine, corporate sponsorships, etc.
- Ability to articulate strategically robust creative approaches
- Regularly represent the copy group in meetings, leading compelling conceptual presentations to senior leadership and directors.
- Ensure that all copy, whether digital, print, or on-site retail, is intent-driven, engaging and on-brand
- Continue to evolve the Zulily voice to reflect the needs of Moms and families today.
- Provide best practice guidance for effective copywriting and raise the bar for the Zulily brand voice across all copy teams
- Drive best practices for on-site experiences for product naming and product detail page content.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a team of 20+ team members
- Guides the personal and professional growth and development of direct reports and is committed to their creative well-being.
- Inspires and motivates directs & extended creative team to aspire to a culture of excellence, collaboration, and creative problem-solving.
- Drives the team’s performance to achieve and exceed production goals.
- Required to coach, mentor, and train their team members and hold accountable when not meeting expectations.
- Actively demonstrates managerial courage and is an advocate for their team.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, advertising, marketing (or comparable work experience)
- Proven record of coaching and developing large teams.
- Diverse book of work and 7-10+ years’ experience, including substantial agency experience in retail or mom-focused brands
- A diverse portfolio of work that shows an ability to write in different brand tones and for different audiences
- Strong conceptual skills with knowledge of how copy relates to design, graphics, and concept inspiration
- Ability to strike a balance between the drive for constant innovation that is endemic to the digital space with a vision of driving trust with our core established customer-base
- Entrepreneurial, nimble, and solutions-oriented mindset
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills while working both independently and as part of a team
- Computer literate, proficiency with Word, experience with database tools and knowledge of Internet technology