Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill its purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk taking, and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Groupon's engineering and operations team is looking for a director of engineering, financial systems, to take the organization to the next level of effective execution. This is a new role reporting to the vice president, global engineering and operations. The position involves coordinating and driving a wide variety of projects and functions to support the business, including merchant finance engineering.
We're looking for someone with creative flare, strong analytical skills, an ability to influence business and technical leaders in a dynamic environment, and the desire to be a contributor to Groupon’s next-generation technology.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and passionate about helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You'll spend your time on:
- Leading the effective and efficient delivery of large, complex cross-functional projects by interacting with team leadership, software engineers, technical program managers, and multiple related teams to support the delivery of large-scale initiatives.
- Building consensus on process improvements and operational decisions to ensure that appropriate software engineering and operational excellence practices are employed to deliver high-quality results
- Craft, maintain and disseminate project and program information to partners to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and dedication across multiple groups with competing priorities.
- Drive efficiency improvements and enhanced reporting metrics across the organization, including forecasting, driving teams to hit targets, and making resource and planning recommendations.
- Anticipate bottlenecks and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs vs. technical constraints.
We're excited about you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree with 12-plus years relevant work experience in a technical organization. Ruby and Java experience are a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, coupled with the ability to comfortably and confidently present to all levels within the enterprise
- You’ve managed and coached managers and directors
- You’ve led a globally distributed team
- You've led complex technical projects with aggressive schedules
- You have experience with financial systems and back-office tooling
- You operate well in a matrixed environment and can influence across an organization
- You have excellent product, program and project management skills and demonstrated technical acumen
- Ability to set and prioritize one’s own work agenda to drive team progress in key areas by being enthusiastic, creative, collaborative and willing to get your hands dirty on the details
- An independent problem solver that can make high-quality judgments and decisions quickly with excellent organization skills
- You're dedicated, self-motivated and know how to follow through on projects, even when things get complex
- Experience with cross-geographical project coordination and management
- A deep understanding of software engineering practices, including design, code quality, data structures, and technical problem solving a plus
- Solid foundation in the latest technologies to be able to understand service interdependencies and drive towards technical solutions for multitiered systems a plus