The Executive Director, MAC Citizenship and Sustainability Lead will manage cross-functional teams to deliver on Brand and Corporate sustainability efforts and the facilitation and implementation of sustainability goals. The Executive Director will coordinate the execution of the brand Sustainability roadmap and lead brand governance across Sustainability focus areas. They will also lead the Back 2 MAC program globally across regions.
As execution of the strategy may develop over time, the Executive Director will need to have knowledge and understanding of Sustainability transformation, the ability to be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity, create relationships that matter, be capable of pivoting between different functions, understand the Gen Z population and have a proven record of high profile projects that have been led and managed to execution.
This is a highly visible role. The Executive Director must be comfortable interacting and presenting to Senior Leadership across the Brand and Company. In addition, this role will work in tandem with Global Corporate Citizenship & Sustainability to align work towards Sustainability strategy. This position reports directly to the Global Brand President, MAC Cosmetics.
- Provide GCCS strategic direction and direct management to all focus area leads and share responsibility for the project development, approval of budget, financial impacts and schedule.
- Strengthen MAC’s ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) positioning by focusing on social impact, I&D, Back to MAC, Clean Beauty, and Ingredient Transparency and ensure the brand achieves its ESG goals
- Responsible for managing all aspects of project management for all Sustainable focus areas of the initiative.
- Continue to manage the MAC Sustainability Governance structure and facilitate focus area weekly meetings with the Brand President to keep teams on task for action items and deliverables.
- Maintain understanding of leading trends and changes in climate & energy, corporate social responsibility, brand purpose and the overall sustainability landscape, including regulatory issues.
- Counsel and inform senior leaders of business and consumer impacts and enable them to drive decisions.
- Accountable for achievement and management of MAC brand score cards for corporate goals and brand goals.
- Actively participate in GCCS community of practice and responsible for bringing best corporate practices to the brand.
- Project Manage all Sustainability brand initiatives including brand claims, sustainable packaging portfolio and carbon use across the brand value chain.
- Work in close collaboration with key internal business leads, including senior leadership and colleagues to support implementing the sustainability strategy & understanding the downstream impacts.
- Partner with departments such as Global Supply Chain, Environmental Affairs and Safety, Packaging, Research and Development, Global Human Resources, and Brand team around strategy implementation and execution
- Connect with Global Corporate Citizenship and Sustainability (GCCS) to align & adapt on Brand agenda with corporate goals.
- Partner with Consumer Marketing and Global Communication on communication plans to lead the GCCS messaging approval process and workflows.
- Support adherence to department’s budget, performance requirements and work plans to achieve sustainability goals
- Develop strategic external stakeholder relationships and links to professional organizations
- Serve as a contact and information source for sustainability initiatives focusing on clean beauty and environmental initiatives.
- Lead and build the MAC Green Team ensuring the internal employee group has support from HR & Executive Sponsor to implement Brand and Corporate initiatives to create a Sustainable Culture.
- In partnership with MAC Office Management and MAC Green Team, establish office safety best practices to adhere to Sustainability efforts.
- The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, management, sustainability, or other related field; masters’ degree preferred
- 12 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, NGO working with business, or a CSR/Sustainability, corporate affairs, or similar role in the private sector
- Excellent understanding of generalist sustainability concepts, including social and environmental standards (e.g., U.N. Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, Carbon Disclosure Project, Global Reporting Initiative, UN Global Compact, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of social and environmental trends, especially those relevant to the beauty and luxury industries
- Experience implementing brand sustainability and citizenship programs in a consumer goods company.
- Experience working in a multi-branded retail company or other industry with high-profile consumer brand, ideally with end-to-end product stewardship in a CPG company
- Strong track record in successfully overseeing sustainability programs and managing processes and projects through collaborative business relationships
- Experience directing multiple, disparate projects simultaneously
- Experience in stakeholder engagement with key groups including but not limited to employees, consumers, communities, and other individuals/entities of influence
- Strong persuasion and leadership skills; providing others with a clear direction, motivation and empowerment in a matrix environment
- Confidence to counsel company leaders on sustainability initiatives and strategy
- Ability to work with company leaders and other groups who come from different disciplines (i.e. Consumer Marketing, Communications …)
- Demonstrated leadership with a proven ability to develop and operationalize strategy.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for high-level interaction with other functions and brands
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills, including communicating and marketing sustainability efforts