Responsible for the company's store real estate strategy and execution. Develops long-term road map for store growth, new configurations and formats, and manages the execution of the strategy. Responsible for all phases of development, acquisition and preservation of Big Lots' properties and locations. Will carry a portfolio of projects and conduct and oversee financial analysis, funding applications, project design, and other real estate activities, including coordination with construction management. Serve as a valued team member, collaborating effectively with other members of the organization, external stakeholders and consultants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops short- and long-term strategic plans related to the company's store real estate.
- Evaluates financial and market analysis and makes recommendations related to all existing stores, new store opportunities, expansions, and strategies to resolve real estate space and other issues.
- Establishes clear parameters for evaluating new store opportunities based on overall corporate and real estate strategy as well as financial policy.
- Presents and makes recommendations to the Real Estate Committee.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key external consultants.
- Oversees the lease negotiation process and maintains relationships with landlords.
- Effectively communicates with executives and works cross-functionally with key leaders.
- Manages the Real Estate team; responsible for hiring, coaching and developing with positive engagement. Provides direction and feedback to ensure development of associates.
- Defines key performance indicators and equips internal teams to monitor and benchmark success to meet and exceed targets.
- Analyzes new site financials by preparing real estate pro formas for business review.
- Partners with business stakeholders to understand analytic requirements and support the development of metrics, performance reports and analysis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of retail real estate managerial experience required.
- Forward-thinking and strategic role requiring strong critical thinking, leadership presence, and extensive knowledge of U.S. retail sector.
- Extensive exposure to developing real estate strategies.
- Proven track record of driving organizational change and optimizing business processes.
- Ability to build and develop teams.
- Strong communication, presentation and problem-solving skills, including contract negotiations.
- Thorough knowledge of store development processes, including design, construction and procurement.
- Excellent project management skills, with demonstrated experience developing and managing a project from conception to completion with positive results.