The Customer Analytics and Pricing Strategy (CAPS) team serves as ascena’s center of excellence for testing and advanced retail analytics. As part of the Planning & Allocation organization, our mission is to deliver short- and long-term financial goals (sales, gross margin, GMROI, and inventory turn) by leveraging omnichannel testing, client segmentation, and basket insights. Utilizing Mastercard APT software, the CAPS team is responsible for driving the development and execution of tests that will drive topline sales and margin, including designing innovative pricing and promotional strategies. The CAPS team is a critical business partner responsible for delivering weekly in-season insights on promotional performance and translating learnings into near-term promo strategies that drive business. The team partners with Marketing, Customer Strategy, and Website Ops to design and deliver pricing segmentation strategies. Leveraging CRM client data warehouses, the team identifies new ways to trigger select client segments to deliver business goals, including moving through heavy inventory positions in key product areas or driving higher profitability on existing categories. The CAPS team works in close partnership with many cross-functional areas to both respond to inquiries from the business and utilize data mining techniques to identify new strategies for driving incremental profitability.
The CAPS role is a part-technical part-strategic role focused on developing hypotheses to drive financial success, gain alignment with stakeholders, implement tests, and analyze results. The role is a data driven business strategist and innovative thinker that delivers deep insights and actionable recommendations. The role builds cross functional partnerships to execute client segmentation strategies and inventory & price optimization projects. He/she will be dedicated to a single brand within the ascena portfolio of brands and will have primary responsibility for leveraging data across store, online, and client data to identify new ways to grow revenue and profitability across multiple functions (merchandising, marketing, visual display, operations, and pricing).
- Leverage analytical tools to deliver weekly learnings on current promotional and pricing actions at both the channel-level and client-level; translate insights into actionable data-based recommendations to drive upcoming business strategies
- Develop and recommend pricing strategies to drive top line sales, including profitable in-season promotion and liquidation strategies; build financial scenarios to quantify revenue and margin impact of proposed strategies
- Proactively identify analytical projects that drive business value, and perform ad hoc analyses to provide business partners with fact-based insight into customer shopping behavior to drive product assortment decisions, category productivity, promotions, pricing decisions, store segmentation, and loyalty targeting
- Serve as subject-matter expert for testing design, execution, and analysis for both stores and dotcom
- Act as project manager to ensure cross-functional execution of testing process as required
- Investigate client purchasing patterns (by category, price point, promotion) to identify business opportunities including promotional, merchandising, and pricing segmentation strategies
- Build close partnerships with planning, merchandising, CRM, marketing, and segmentation partners to develop a deep understanding of brand priorities, strategies, and plans
- Create impactful PowerPoint presentations to clearly communicate results to senior leadership, including all relevant risks, opportunities, and financial impacts
- Identify key industry trends impacting business and translate into strategic recommendations to capitalize on business opportunities
- Promote a fact-based, objective, and data-driven “test and learn” culture
- Develop, test, and implement traditional and non-traditional methods of driving sales and gross margin by activating client behaviors and spending patterns
- BA/BS with emphasis on quantitative skills in economics, business, mathematics, data science or related field. Masters degree in business or analytics preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 5-7 years work experience in strategy consulting, planning & allocation, data science/analytics, or CRM with positions of increasing responsibility
- Outstanding analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Able to gather, manipulate, and interpret data at a low level of detail and synthesize into actionable business recommendations for leadership team.
- Experience handling large data sets – strong Microsoft Excel skills, with experience building tools & templates
- Must be detail oriented, results driven, able to take full ownership of responsibilities and multi-task in a high intensity, fast-paced environment.
- Strong oral, written, and formal presentation skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple ways to all levels of the organization. Experience developing and delivering impactful PowerPoint presentations to senior leadership.
- Ability to influence and build consensus across multiple functions and levels of the organization – able to lead without authority.
- Able to formulate vision and focus on measured goals. Can seamlessly re-prioritize deliverables in response to changing business needs and effectively lead through change.
- Specialty retail experience and fluency in retail math strongly preferred. Understanding of basic statistical concepts.
- Preferred but not required: Knowledge of SQL, experience leveraging SAS in a data warehouse environment, able to analyze and interpret web data (e.g. Omniture).
- This role can be 100 percent remote from any location within the USA.