With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Human Resources department as a Senior Corporate Communications Specialist located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
As a high-impact member of the Corporate Communications team, our Senior Communications Specialist is a visible influencer who contributes to the strategic development, implementation and execution of internal communications strategies across the organization. A strong storyteller and visual communicator with comfort navigating all levels of the organization, this role creates and delivers engaging, consistent, and relevant communication to our associates as a driver for achieving our business objectives.
What you'll do...
- Craft communication that spurs emotional connections and inspires action during key campaigns around volunteerism, philanthropy, associate engagement and other moments that bring our organizational values to life.
- Provide the creative juice and editorial prowess to manage an internal communication publishing schedule including reprioritization of requests to stay relevant and aligned with business priorities.
- Partner closely with the CEO, CHRO and other executives on communication projects and presentations related to internal and board communications.
- Provide direction and support to project teams and proactively manage and maintain communication plans; identify potential roadblocks and opportunities to revise plans as needed.
- Own creative inputs and layout responsibility including concept, design, and edits of published (digital and print) company materials as needed for internal communications and other partnering departments.
- Proof and edit internal communications including stories, presentations, and other materials for various publication sources to ensure alignment with company brand standard and style, as well as factual and grammatical correctness.
- Use your curiosity to create journalistic style content for LinkedIn, newsletters, intranet, interviews and story coordination. Includes unique story development, research, recommended graphics and presentation that is consistent with our corporate narrative (that you will help bring to life) and strategic objectives.
- Stand up and maintain company-wide standards for communication messages, corporate identity and communications policies.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of an integrated, corporate communications calendar that makes associate communication impactful and easier to retain.
- Be flexible and agile in your workstyle to support change management activities and delivery on a small (but mighty) team that prioritizes results and how work is achieved.
- Have an experiential point of view on the execution of social media strategies to advance associate brand ambassador, corporate social responsibility and content journalism initiatives.
- Develop beautiful presentations that are simultaneously admired for their simplicity and clarity of message.
What you'll bring...
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, PR, Communications, Marketing, English or related field
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in a corporate communications role or equivalent large media/PR agency experience
- Proven graphic design proficiency including Adobe creative suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator). Examples/Portfolios welcome and encouraged
- Significant experience using MS Office applications such as PowerPoint to produce dynamic for high-stakes content (Boards, large-scale presentations) that is visually compelling and dynamic in nature and expression
- Experience with content creation and ongoing management of in-house communication and social collaboration tools (e.g., LinkedIn Yammer, intranets, etc.)
- Video production in retail environments is desirable
- High levels of learning agility and strategic mindset to effectively distill intangible and/or difficult concepts and ideas into thoughtful communication tools and content
- Seriously strong grammar and proofreading skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Visual storytelling and/or the ability to present communication graphically
- Ability to apply discretion with respect to confidential or sensitive information
- A passion for and experience living the culture of an organization through words
- The ability to adjust communication styles and leverage candor as a means of enhancing communication, teamwork and collaboration efforts across individuals, team, and brands
- Ability to consistently and effectively reprioritize work based on shifting business needs and stakeholder expectations
- Project management knowledge with the ability to flex dependencies in deadline-driven environments
- Good reading, written and verbal language skills (English)