The senior vice president, chief marketing officer for Perry Ellis International is responsible for the portfolio of 25-plus brands we own and/or license with the goal of strengthening our brands and driving sales growth. The CMO leads the development of brand strategy (including positioning, target audience, etc.); creating brand awareness through advertising, social media, and public relations; and ultimately demand generation across all channels of distribution (wholesale, direct-to-consumer, e-commerce, etc.).
Awareness and demand generation strategies sit across both new customer acquisition as well as the retention of current customers. The CMO directly manages brand marketing leaders and their teams, as well as shared service teams in Creative, Digital Marketing, Social Media, and Photo Studio, which is a total team of approximately 65. The CMO works in partnership with brand presidents as well as department heads for Direct-to-Consumer, Licensing, International, IT, Finance, and Legal. This position, reporting to the CEO, contributes to the strategic framework and decision making for our long-term corporate strategy.
- Ensure each brand in the portfolio has an ownable positioning strategy and is communicated in a compelling and consistent manner across all channels and touchpoints.
- Lead the development of integrated marketing plans by brand, including strategies and tactics that increase brand awareness, relevancy, and generate demand. This also includes calendarization to connect key messages across all touchpoints with synchronized timing.
- Lead a customer-first mindset, developing a data-informed position on who current and target customers are, and implementing strategies and tactics that help us acquire and retain valuable customers. Retention strategies include ownership over our multibrand loyalty program.
- Financial responsibility for the Marketing function, including managing the $23 million marketing budget, coaching the brand marketing leaders on allocating dollars appropriately across content creation, trade support, paid advertising, influencer marketing, partnerships, PR, agency fees, etc., with a goal to maximize spend effectiveness.
- Through a digital/mobile-first lens, connect with end consumers and communicate what our brands stand for, with our products featured in an impactful manner.
- Create compelling product marketing that helps consumers understand key features and benefits and motivate purchasing (packaging, hang tags, signage, fixturing, content, imagery, video, etc.).
- Liaise with sales teams to provide marketing tools that help drive sell-in as well as sell-through.
- Collaborate with all internal teams to deliver against the brand experience across all consumer touchpoints, including point of sale, direct-to-consumer, and wholesale e-commerce, D-to-C stores, customer service for owned brands and categories as well as licensed brands, categories and distribution channels.
- Manage and develop marketing team members, at different levels across brand, creative, digital, social and CRM functions. Coach marketing team members to be accountable and maximize their effectiveness with specific goals and measurable key performance indicators.
- Manage in-house Creative team (design, copywriting, photography, production, retouching, etc.) and any external Creative resources to ensure we develop imagery, voice and content that's true to our brands’ positioning and compelling.
- Set KPIs, measure and report on the impact of marketing efforts.
- Stay on top of current marketing practices, and implement test-and-learn initiatives to identify breakthrough new strategies that can drive sales, maintain brand relevance, and have positive brand impact.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience managing brand strategies with significant experience connecting those strategies to business results. Proven experience leading marketing with a commercially oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated experience managing brand strategy, media, digital/e-commerce, social media, creative development, and customer acquisition and retention.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Able to understand and synthesize complicated scenarios and output easy to understand, effective strategies. Great storytelling is a must, both for our brands as well as our internal communications.
- Persuasive and Collaborative: Able to work across multiple stakeholders to influence and drive brand-right implementation. Great at building and maintaining relationships, fostering an environment of mutual respect, understanding, and trust.
- Nimble and Fast: Able to balance priorities and move quickly in a rapidly changing environment with tight deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Willingness to challenge the status quo in our highly disrupted business environment and move quickly to test and learn new strategies and tactics. This also relates to a level of resourcefulness and proven ability to do a lot with a little.
- Bachelor’s in Marketing; MBA is a plus
- Fifteen-plus years in Marketing with minimum of five years at a senior level (managing large teams, complex brand/distribution environments)
- Experience managing brand strategy, media, creative, customer acquisition and retention, digital/e-commerce marketing
- Bilingual preferred