As part of Tire Discounters’ (TD) senior leadership team, the vice president of technology (VPIT) contributes to the growth of the company through ownership and delivery of the technology strategy and standards. The VPIT will maintain a fluency in the latest technology platforms, systems and software development methodologies and will help TD utilize these technologies to maintain its competitive advantage and expand its industry leadership. This includes ensuring TD’s IT team is best-in-class and trained to deliver consistent and predictable output.
The VPIT is responsible for the overall planning, organizing and execution of all technology functions for the company. This includes directing all IT operations to meet customer requirements as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technology solutions. The VPIT is responsible for defining and delivering the technology strategy and capabilities across TD.
Strategy and Governance:
- Provide a consistent approach to ensure IT-related decisions are made in line with the company's strategies and objectives.
- Align strategic IT plans with business objectives. Clearly communicate the objectives and associated accountabilities so they are understood by all, with the IT strategic options identified, structured and integrated with the business plans.
- Maintain an awareness of information technology and related service trends, identify innovation opportunities, and plan how to benefit from innovation in relation to business needs.
- Serve as a primary contact with outside vendors in the generation of RFPs, bids, contracts, agreements, and other major vendor interactions, system operations and maintenance.
- Responsible for functional and capital budgets within approved levels as well as ordering, acquisition, inventorying, and disposition of hardware and software.
- Manage IT-related financial activities and prioritize spending through the use of formal budgeting practices. Provide transparency and accountability of the cost and business value of IT solutions and services.
- Manage the relationship between external service providers and IT to ensure that the vendors meet organizational needs/SLAs and that contracts are optimized for strategic value.
- Manage all IT programs and projects from the portfolio in alignment with the business strategy. Initiate, plan, control and execute programs and projects to ensure that the business realizes project benefits while experiencing few delays and cost overruns.
- Lead and develop direct report team in an authentic and inspiring way. Set clear direction and effectively coach for performance. Manages all members of the IT team, directly or indirectly, and is responsible for the performance management, development and hiring of all team members.
- Personally train or facilitate internal and external resources to educate staff on technology design and development best practices.
- Directly manage and coach directors of Development, Infrastructure/Cyber Security, and Planning.
- Chair TD IT Advisory Board, maintaining external focus of best practice standards for team success.
- Actively participate in industry forums/groups (like The Circuit) to source best practice benchmarks, personal inspiration, and resource/support.
Service Management and Operations
- Manage all IT system changes in a controlled manner, including standard changes and emergency maintenance relating to business processes, applications and infrastructure. Enable fast and reliable delivery of change to the business and mitigate the risk of negatively impacting the stability of the changed environment.
- Provide timely and effective response to user requests and resolution of all types of incidents. Restore normal service; record and fulfill user requests; and record, investigate, diagnose, escalate and resolve incidents.
- Successfully implement new IT solutions and services in line with the agreed-on expectations and outcomes. Ensure that the implementation of new solutions and services has the necessary support, from planning to execution to post-implementation support and staff training.
- Balance current and future needs for availability, performance and capacity of IT systems and infrastructure through the forecast of future performance and capacity requirements.
- Manage the organization’s infrastructure lifecycle by determining each infrastructure asset’s ability to provide value to the organization relative to its cost. Develop and maintain the infrastructure road map, including when to retire, grow or replace, repurpose or sustain.
- Plan, direct and coordinate the design, installation and connectivity of computer and network systems, as well as hosted and on-premises servers and storage to ensure the stable operation of the organization’s IT assets.
Security and Risk Management
- Define, operate and monitor a system for information security management. Keep the impact and occurrence of information security incidents within the business’ risk appetite levels.
- Ensure that IT processes and IT-supported business processes are compliant with laws, regulations and contractual requirements.
- Design and implement security practices to prevent issues related to identity, infrastructure data, and HR security.
- Develop and manage TD’s overall disaster recovery plan; ensure the continual functioning of mission-critical operations.
- Management of organizational databases to ensure that users and applications have access to the right data at the right time for the right reasons.
Integrations, Software Development and Optimization/Customization
- Define and document the architectural description for a specific solution or project; this includes the translation of business requirements into a high-level solution design, definition of technical specifications and integration plans, and identification of buy vs. build strategy/execution plan.
- Plan, direct and coordinate design, development and deployment of software to serve business operations. Scope to include leadership and coordination of external partners and internal development team.
- Lead execution of best practice software/integration, including utilization of best practice tools like middleware.
- Ensure optimization and/or customization of systems hosted managed but internal development team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to create a clear strategic technology vision and road map.
- Strong business maturity, professionalism, interpersonal, management leadership, analytical, and communication skills
- Knowledgeable and experienced reconciling/overseeing multiple simultaneous projects/tasks
- Comfort level with ambiguity, flexible in approach, and capable of bringing definition and clarity to business problems where it may not exist
- Skilled in managing and identifying conflict or resistance when it may be a hurdle to success
- Capable of identifying barriers to action or agreement
- Motivating leader that can naturally and comfortably lead change management in a fast-paced organization that's rapidly scaling
- Create an exciting and safe space to drive hard while dissipating any associated apprehensions with challenging tasks or objectives. What’s worth doing is often hard.
- Strong and effective relationship building skills; able to remain neutral when appropriate but also able to leverage strong relationships to achieve business results
- Experienced and skilled in effectively influencing people at all levels of an organization, particularly when resistance exists, to include excellent vendor negotiation skills
- Strong collaboration skills, including the ability to dig in personally, pivot between planning and immediate issue resolution tasks. Ability to facilitate productive review of alternate perspectives and viewpoints on a scenario at hand and work effectively with internal and external groups as part of various initiatives.
- Skilled in innovating thinking and has a strong planning/prioritization orientation. Capable of managing the short term but also effectively planning for the long term and finding the appropriate balance between both time horizons.
- Excellent project management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to accomplish objectives across departments, organizations and levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Strong customer and employee service orientation
- Ability to create enough team structure and adherence to best-practice processes and protocols to result in seemingly invisible, seamless technology tools for business success.
- A trustworthy individual who respects and maintains confidentiality while creating and promoting a positive and supportive work environment
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in technical or business discipline or related experience
- More than 10 years related experience with five years in an IT leadership role
- Minimum of three years in a supervisory or management role within an Information Systems Department is preferred
- Experience in a retail or related business preferred
- Experience in the most relevant technologies and products used in the industry
- Experience in IT infrastructure design, build and support
- Experience with software development
- Experience with point-of-sale (POS) solutions
- Experience maintaining compliance with relevant security, privacy and other legal requirements, including PCI DSS.