Highlights for Children’s vision is to be universally recognized as the leading producer of entertainment and educational content for children, families and classrooms. Its offerings are designed to create meaningful shared experiences that strengthen the relationships between children and the grown-ups who care for and about them. Parents, grandparents and educators see Highlights as a trusted friend and reliable guide helping children navigate a rapidly evolving and increasingly complex world. Our portfolio of products and experiences extend across the spectrum of media, including print, broadcast and digital.
Highlights is a mission-driven organization. It helps children become their best selves by publishing content and creating experiences that engage, delight and foster joyful learning. Through the work we do and as an inclusive corporate community, we're dedicated to cultivating our best selves in our workplace. We aim to hire talent that strives for excellence while doing the work they love, by enhancing the lives of kids and families. We come together with a common purpose because we believe children are the world's most important people.
The vice president, subscription business leads the strategic direction and execution of Highlights’ subscription business, including product and marketing strategy, customer acquisition, and retention for both current and new print and digital subscription products. The vice president will be responsible for achieving short- and long-term revenue, profit and growth targets.
This individual will inspire, manage and develop the teams responsible for planning, prioritizing and implementing the company’s marketing strategies, including acquisition, retention, pricing, offers, market development and customer experience. As the company extends its product lines and evolves into a multimedia children’s brand, the vice president of subscription business will ensure smooth operations within existing business lines and work closely with the Editorial function to innovate for future growth. This role reports to the senior vice president, direct-to-consumer business, and will be an integral member of the direct-to-consumer leadership team.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Develop and execute the strategic direction for marketing Highlights’ subscription products.
- Drive the success and financial health of all marketing campaigns and channels in the direct-to-consumer sources, providing financial oversight.
- P&L responsibility for all subscription products in direct-to-consumer channels.
- Analyze and make recommendations on marketing programs to achieve measurable return on investment.
- Oversee all customer acquisition and retention marketing and analytics.
- Drive business decisions based on understanding of external marketing trends, financial trends, customer insights and research, and reporting analytics (customers, competitive, best practices).
- Work with Editorial team to conceive, develop and bring to market new subscription products.
- Managerial oversight of direct reports, including establishment of and oversight of departmental business goals.
- Oversight of all aspects of the customer experience for subscription products.
- Manage and grow the Special Interest publication business with our partner, Topix Media.
- Develop and execute product and merchandising strategies.
- Work with cross-functional partners, including IT, Marketing, Editorial, and Analytics, to make decisions to drive the business forward.
- Work with Brand and Creative groups to evolve Highlights' creative to align with branding efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or equivalent education and experience
- At least 10 years marketing experience in a leadership role in direct marketing, preferably with publishing and/or continuity experience
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to identify and lead practical, actionable ideas designed to grow and improve the business year-over-year
- Familiarity with digital marketing channels and retail
- Ability to lead and deliver on business and financial short- and long-term goals, in both traditional print and electronic/digital channels, with extensive experience with direct response strategies, formats, channels and tactics
- Analytical skills necessary to understand and make business decisions with a strong financial oversight and acumen, as well as a mastery of data assessment as it relates to the business.
- Strong understanding of the creative elements of direct-to-consumer promotions
- Understanding of external trends and ability to gain knowledge through established external network
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and peers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience successfully managing, coaching and developing direct reports