As we move toward the spring and summer seasons, hopefully you’ll find some time of your own to spend outdoors with a good book. With that in mind, here are six books recommended by Women in Retail Leadership Circle members.
Joan King, Senior Vice President of E-Commerce and International, Crate and Barrel
- “Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon,” by Bill Carr and Colin Bryar. I found it really helpful because a lot of what Amazon was doing in its early days and how it worked differently is still pretty applicable.
- “The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company,” by Robert Iger. This was a great account of so much disruption going on in that industry, and it’s fascinating to read about their day-to-day.
Sharonda Weatherspoon, Senior Vice President of Stores and Co-Chair, D&I, Ralph Lauren Corporation
- “Where You Are is Not Who You Are,” by Ursula Burns. It resonated with me because in many ways her story really resembles my experience. When you come from humble beginnings, there are many things that you struggle with, but your ability to really overcome them, to be positive, and to really still be able to live your truth is really important.
Kristin Smith, Managing Director, Digital Commerce, Deloitte
- “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking,” by Susan Cain. One of the things I’ve always known is that I’m an ambivert, so I sit right smack in the middle between extrovert and introvert. So it’s interesting understanding and having more ownership, if you will, around my introverted side, which in the past I’ve always felt I had to struggle against and almost overcompensate for.
Lauren Sullivan, Senior Director of Marketing, Grandin Road
- I recently re-read “Dare to Lead” by Brené Brown, and it had a significantly different impact on me vs. the first time I read it. It changed the way I approach my relationships and is well worth the time if you’re open and ready to do the corresponding work.
Deborah Brown-Volkman, Director of Operations, STATUS SPORTS